By SkinnyMs.

It’s hard not to share your favorite treats with your four-legged friends. After all, they look so darn cute with those puppy dog (or kitty cat) eyes! But it’s important for pet owners to know which foods not to feed to pets. Below are five toxic pet foods you should avoid giving to your pet.

Raisins and grapes

Raisins and grapes can be extremely dangerous for dogs and cats, causing sudden kidney failure. Scientists aren’t quite sure what it is about the fruit that makes them toxic to pets, but symptoms include general weakness, abdominal pain, refusal to eat and excessively drinking water.

Caffeine in any form

Most dog owners know that chocolate is a no-no. But coffee, tea and soda are also off the table. Caffeine consumption can cause elevated heart rate, heavy breathing, muscle spasms and seizures.

Fruits with seeds and pits

Not only do seeds and pits pose a choking hazard, many of them contain cyanide, which is toxic. Whole apples, cherries, apricots, plums, peaches and pears should all be avoided as treats for Fido.

Baking Ingredients and Spices

One good reason to keep your baking ingredients on a high shelf: common pantry items like baking soda, baking powder and nutmeg can all be toxic to dogs. The amount it takes to affect a dog varies from breed to breed, so best not to take any chances.


This one is twice as dangerous because it’s hidden in so many ordinary products. Many candies, gums, and even toothpastes contain the sweetener xylitol, which can lead to liver failure in pets. Watch for initial signs of vomiting, lethargy and overall lack of coordination, and contact your vet immediately if a product containing xylitol is ingested.

When it comes to sharing people foods with your furry friends, the best rule of thumb is to ask your vet if you have any uncertainty.

Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.